Risilience is seeking to employ a new Head of Environmental Risk Analytics to join us in our mission to help businesses manage environmental risks including natural ecosystem collapse and climate change – the two biggest systemic threats facing the economy and natural environment today.
We have developed a unique modelling and analytics platform, founded on more than a decade of influential frameworks pioneered by Risilience’s founders at the Centre for Risk Studies at the University of Cambridge Judge Business School, to help international corporations assess and navigate the risks and opportunities presented by the transition to a low-carbon, nature-positive economy.
Our SaaS solutions help companies produce climate- and nature-related analytics to navigate their pathway to net zero and sustainable business practices, through science-based cost benefit comparisons of emission reduction strategies versus their risks.
The Risilience client base comprises a growing list of globally recognised brands, including Nestlé, Burberry and Reckitt. The pedigree of our solutions is supported by our deep academic and science-based roots and the close ties we maintain to the Cambridge Centre for Risk Studies.
Our business received Series B funding earlier this year and is growing rapidly. Benefits include competitive basic salary, bonus, pension, remote and flexible working, and a commitment to staff diversity.
This role will be part of the environmental model development team based in our Cambridge office. While we do support flexible/hybrid working and can look at applicants based outside the Cambridge area, the applicant will be expected to work from the Cambridge office most of the time.
You will help us to develop our environmental and sustainability-related risk analytics . As head of environmental risk analytics, you will be responsible for determining the technical direction of our environmental models and providing innovative solutions to quantify a company’s impacts and dependencies on nature. In this role, you’ll work alongside our talented team of modellers, economists, data scientists, and software engineers, as well as the wider company and client base.
This is a great opportunity for an ambitious individual looking to join a rapidly expanding company and to work on innovative and leading analytics. You will have the opportunity to work with some of the largest and most ambitious corporations to help them improve their environmental impacts and build resilience to environmental risks. You will also work alongside industry bodies, such as the Task Force on Nature-Related Financial Disclosures, to help drive a major change in the global economy towards more responsible stewardship.
In this role you will be expected to:
- Lead a team of modellers through a clear and compelling vision
- Drive the technical areas of the model development agenda for natural capital risk, including geospatial analysis, physical and transition modelling.
- Develop models using novel techniques to assess nature, build forward-looking nature scenarios and distill these complex scientific concepts into quantified nature-related financial impacts relevant to business.
- Scope model development plans that are actionable and communicate strategic project aims and operational objectives, including project planning and resource requirements.
- Deliver compelling analytics and insights to corporate clients.
- Act as point of contact for nature-related risks and opportunities within the business and externally.
- Establish and nurture collaborations with academic institutions and corporations.
You will lead your team to innovate, enhance, and expand our corporate climate and sustainability analytics, leveraging various external, client, and Risilience datasets to assess and quantify risks and opportunities.
You will be familiar with forthcoming regulation and reporting standards related to nature-related risks including the TNFD, CSRD and SBTN among others.
You will support the product development team to integrate these models into our existing platform. You will also support the client delivery team in communicating these scenario models, narratives, methodologies, and outputs to our clients to guide their management decisions.
- Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in natural sciences, economics, engineering, mathematics, business, or a related discipline OR demonstrated equivalent experience in a professional role.
- Experience managing large complex projects.
- Experience in modelling natural capital, biodiversity, sustainability or climate change including risks and opportunities, and approaches to assess them.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including the ability to learn new topics and develop innovative solutions.
- Ability to effectively communicate complex scientific topics and analyses to other non-expert teams and clients.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, manage concurrent goals, and work closely with a diverse team of scientists and engineers.
- Managing the development of scientific models in both waterfall and agile development frameworks.
- Experience quantifying the economic impact of nature related risks to help businesses or governments enable decision making,
- Comprehension of relevant climate and environmental datasets to support nature-related analysis
- Knowledge and expertise in relevant domain areas, for example in natural sciences, agronomy, energy, or environmental economics
- Delivery of environmental risk analytics to corporations in the food and/or apparel value chain
Diversity and Inclusion
Risilience is committed to a proactive approach to equality, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture and values diversity. Entry into employment is determined by personal merit and by the application of criteria required for the post. No applicant for an appointment or member of staff will be treated less favourably than another on the grounds of sex (including gender reassignment), marital or parental status, race, ethnic or national origin, colour, disability (including HIV status), sexual orientation, religion, age or socio-economic factors.
Information if you have a Disability
Risilience welcomes applications from individuals with disabilities and is committed to ensuring fair treatment throughout the recruitment process. Adjustments will be made, wherever reasonable to do so, to enable applicants to compete to the best of their ability and, if successful, to assist them during their employment.
We encourage applicants to declare their disabilities in order that any special arrangements, particularly for the selection process, can be accommodated. Applicants or employees can declare a disability at any time.
Right to work
You must have full permission to live and work in the UK without time limit, restriction or sponsorship.